Documenting the steps I'm taking in applying for the Peace Corps and hopefully be invited to the Peace Corps! The contents of this website are mine personally and do not reflect any position of the U.S. government or the Peace Corps.

Monday, March 3, 2008

Greetings!

I have found so many Peace Corps blogs online, and nearly all I have found were on blogspot.  Now, I have my own website, but for some reason, blogspot being so popular with the PC, I couldn't help but get my own! Hah! I've only just started my application process for the Peace Corps, but I wanted to make sure to document it for me and everyone else who is thinking about the Peace Corps or beginning the process. I know lots of blogs certainly answered my questions and gave me ideas.  

I was first introduced to Peace Corps in high school, Mr. Seigert had one of the lower school teachers come talk to us about it during Sociology--she had been a PCV in Thailand, I can't remember what she did there.  I thought it was really freaking cool, but also thought it sounded so hippie and like so much work (don't those two contrast?) Oh well, a handful of years later as college was coming to a close, I started thinking about options after graduation.  Work abroad? Peace Corps? Grad school? Job? Teach for America?  I did apply for TA, but without enough experience, I got rejected (how lame!).  The same time I was applying for TA, I tossed around the idea of Peace Corps. I was then (and still am) an international/travel fanatic and wanted to do things for* people.  At the time I dismissed the idea thinking it might be too much for me, besides, I had a long term boyfriend.

Yet, over the next 2 years, it was always in my mind, and every time I'd think of it, a new idea or question about the Peace Corps would come to mind. I found myself asking:
Why have I been holding back? Well, I'm doubting myself, and a boy. I love the boy, but that reason is stupid, I can't live for another person. But as for doubting myself, why am I doubting!? I love travel and learning about cultures, I would love to teach or work with youth, even volunteer in health in the Peace Corps. I don't have much work or volunteer experience, but that's something to easily change.
As soon as I got over the "boy" reason, I was able to do more with my life. For example, I spent over a month studying in China last fall. I'd always wanted to study abroad, but always held back because of him. I finally told myself that it was something we could both figure out how to deal with, and we both did. I loved China.  Still, it took me a long time to come to the realization that, yes, I wanted to apply to the Peace Corps, and if lucky enough, be accepted and join. 

Only recently did I figure this out, but now it seems clear that it was always the answer, I was just scared.  And not even scared of something of substance....like getting malaria....or being mauled by a lion! Hah! Silly fears: me and my boy. Bleh. I got over it.

This is my timeline thus far:
  • February 26th, 2008: complete the Volunteer Application & Health Status Review Application.
  • February 27th, 2008: notified 3 people that I was hoping they could provide the required recommendations for me. Later in the day, when I heard back, I then added them to the recommendation list.
  • February 28th, 2008: receive an e-mail thanking me for my application, in the next 2 weeks I should be notified of an interview, and should be receiving a letter in the mail about the online Toolkit.
What I am in the process of doing:
  • submitting an application to the local Red Cross for a March 15th class to certify me for "Adult, Infant, and Child CPR/AED and First Aid
  • find out how to volunteer at the Red Cross or the AIDS Resource Group
  • signing up for an online class for TEFL + Young Learners through ITTT
  • looking for a good Youth Organization to volunteer for (many require at least a years commitment, which I unfortunately cannot make since I'm not sure about the PC timeline)
  • tomorrow will harass all 3 recommendors to SUBMIT MY RECOMMENDATION! :)
Well, I'm waiting, anxiously. I guess I could start to prepare some answers to interview questions. I have found some sample questions online from people who have completed their interviews.  I'm hoping for something soon!

Labels: , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

 
Free Web Counters
Free Counter