Documenting the steps I'm taking in applying for the Peace Corps and hopefully be invited to the Peace Corps! The contents of this website are mine personally and do not reflect any position of the U.S. government or the Peace Corps.

Wednesday, June 4, 2008

6 Week Rule

The rule with the Peace Corps is that you must be invited 6 weeks before the country departure date. Today is Wednesday the 4th, so assuming I get cleared this week and invited next week (this is just ever hopeful) That would put me up to the very middle of July, the week of July 13-19 as the "earliest" July programs I could be invited to if that were to be the case.  Those last July programs I could possibly be invited to are Cape Verde, South Africa, Bulgaria, and Zambia. While I'd naturally be loving any one of them....I know S. Africa accepts epileptics, but I'm actually not to keen on going there. I don't know if Bulgaria does, but since its in Europe, it is more likely to accept epileptics. So out of the last July possibilities, sadly Honduras is now out of the running most likely, I'd hope for Bulgaria--there ARE Youth and Community Dev projects there, which are the 2 I'm most qualified for.

Next up comes the month of August. Time wise, I could still be invited to any of those countries. Panama, Uganda, Guatemala, Philippines, Kazakhstan, Belize, Dominican Republic, Eastern Caribbean, Kiribati. Again, any would be great! Panama seems out because it seems to be business, not youth (or community)...I doubt they accept epileptics in Uganda, Kazakhstan, or Kiribati. But Guate, Belize, Dom Rep, E. Caribbean are all likely epileptic candidate countries, and Philippines, tho I'm not sure, is a possibility. Dom Rep doesn't seem likely b/c of the work areas, E. Caribbean is possible but less likely. Assuming Guatemala, Belize, and Philippines all accept epileptic, they all have Youth. Belize is most likely, but I'd LOVE to go to Guatemala to work in their brand new Youth program. 

If I can't get in for August, then comes September. The only countries that could possibly accept epileptics (just off my guesses usually) are: Peru, Macedonia, Azerbaijan (maybe), & Ukraine. I know for a fact Macedonia accepts epileptics, and while they don't have Youth, they do have Community which I could do, or possibly education since I'll have a TEFL certificate by the time I leave (but no classroom experience :-/ ). Peru, Azerbaijan, and Ukraine are all maybes as far as I can see on the epilepsy end. The only "possibility" I'd have in Azerbaijan is TEFL, Ukraine has TEFL and Youth...and Peru has Community Health Promotion & Youth.

Okay, so basically...to sum it up...I cannot be invited to a program less than 6 weeks away from departure. In July this leaves South Africa & Bulgaria. In August, the possible countries are Guatemala, Belize, Eastern Caribbean, & maybe Philippines.  Finally, in September, most likely possibilities are Macedonia, Peru, and Ukraine. Of course I have my favorites, but I can't get my hopes up for anything.

I predict that tomorrow morning I awake to find a ToolKit update stating that I'm medically cleared.

Labels: , , , , , , , , ,

1 Comments:

Blogger Christie said...

I hope your clearance comes soon - I'm thinking of you!

June 5, 2008 at 8:31 AM

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

 
Free Web Counters
Free Counter