Documenting the steps I'm taking in applying for the Peace Corps and hopefully be invited to the Peace Corps! The contents of this website are mine personally and do not reflect any position of the U.S. government or the Peace Corps.

Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Hrmmm

I heard through the grapevine today that "at this time with the budget etc., it would be almost certain that if one declines an invitation there would not be another."

Hearing that come through the grapevine from the placement office is a little scary. Especially for me, someone who declined an invitation just weeks before the budget problem burst out, but will be reactivating next June when its quite likely the budget problem will still be going on.

Now, I know I made the right decision in declining El Salvador, but I also want to join the Peace Corps more than anything. Unfortunately, El Salvador wasn't the right program for me, but I am certain that I want to join and will be a great volunteer. I'm up for the challenge and am looking forward to helping those in my future Peace Corps country. I know the next country and program will be great for me, and I'm excited. Its going to be the longest wait, but I'll get there and it'll be worth it, and more importantly, it'll be right when I get there.

Naturally, hearing that, it just scares me that "oh, well...I declined an invitation....does that mean they won't extend me another one?" My decision to go to China for a year to teach English is in part for that reason. To help strengthen my application and experience for the Peace Corps since my application will now have a negative taint to it. 

Just scary stuff to hear.

Labels: , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

 
Free Web Counters
Free Counter