Documenting the steps I'm taking in applying for the Peace Corps and hopefully be invited to the Peace Corps! The contents of this website are mine personally and do not reflect any position of the U.S. government or the Peace Corps.

Friday, March 7, 2008

Role Ideas....

Well, everyone, Sunday it was a nice warm 73 degrees with an ever so slight breeze. I was in a tshirt and sandals.....today it is 30 degrees and snowing (we are supposed to get a half foot by tomorrow). I am wearing sweatpants, long sleeve shirt, and a coat--a coat inside.

Anyway, the 4 things I would most like to do if I am accepted to Peace Corps would be one of the following:
  • TEFL Education--Teach conversational English, English as a foreign language, or content-based English in middle and high schools.
  • Youth Outreach--Volunteers work with at-risk youth ages 10 to 25, helping communities develop programs to assist young people
  • Health Education--Volunteers teach public health in classrooms and model methodologies and subjects for primary and secondary school teachers.
  • HIV/AIDS--HIV/AIDS Volunteers provide hope and meaningful assistance to people affected by HIV/AIDS.
The nice thing about TEFL and Health is that I can take it upon myself to create some type of youth program, so technically, I can still do that as a side thing (that fucker outside just parked way too close to my car--I'm at Starbucks). Though I'm not sure how much I have going for any of those. I'm a history major! Though I am signed up for the CPR/First Aid/Bloodborn Pathogens class at the Red Cross and plan on volunteering at either the Red Cross or AIDS Foundation when I finish that, and am currently taking an online TEFL certificate course. I tried to look for somewhere to volunteer with youth or tutoring, but all the places require a one year commitment which I'm not certain I can give--I hope to keep this ball rolling and leave this fall or winter--I know it's a long shot.

Anyway, I was thinking about what I would take with me to help with those positions:
  • colored pencils and crayons
  • On Writing Well and Elements of Style, two grammar books
  • some type of flash cards or signs about words, health, etc
  • possibly a "student" health kit--one that can be used to show things
  • world map, country map
  • baby doll for playing booboo with? haha
I dunno, when I was thinking about it, it definitely seemed like more, but I guess this early in the process those ideas are pretty good. I'm sure I'll have more once I get invited and have a real assignment :-D Hah, I haven't even interviewed.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

 
Free Web Counters
Free Counter