Documenting the steps I'm taking in applying for the Peace Corps and hopefully be invited to the Peace Corps! The contents of this website are mine personally and do not reflect any position of the U.S. government or the Peace Corps.

Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Skills? What Skills?

In my packet, there were 3 job area descriptions and a skill worksheet for each. I was hoping the skill worksheets would be more like "have you ever" "list skills that would fit this" ...something? Obviously, they make it as such to really get you to think about who you are and what you have done so that they can best place you.  But this is the thing....I can think of a single skill to put in. "What? Everyone has skills, you just aren't thinking hard enough." Yep, everyone does, and I do too, but since I haven't had hardly any work/volunteer experience, I don't have specific examples.  I know that I am a motivator, sympathetic, an organizer, driven, good with children, blah blah, but I don't have specific examples! The only one thing I could think of to put down would be working at a day camp--but that was for children 4-8 yrs, and the PC seems to request examples for 10-25 yrs.

For Community, they want you to just list everything you've done "Name of Organization/Type of Organization/Dates of Involvement/# of Sessions/Hours per Session/Responsibilities"  That's all they ask for, and well, literally there is nothing there. The only thing like that I've done is Habitat for Humanity, but that was over 5 years ago, so I don't think they want that information.

For Health Extension, they ask for semester units for certain courses or course areas (ie. bio, health, medicine, etc). I at least have biology--even if it was just 1 semester. They they ask for experiences within the last 10 years that deal with health. My question is that I am about to start volunteering for the AIDS Foundation and Red Cross, and will be taking a CPR/First Aid class in April--so can I put that down as "will be"?

Youth Development asks to list a youth organization you've worked/volunteered for with youth b/w 10 and 25. Then it asks multiple questions about the organizations and your duties. I thought for sure I had youth experience, but mine is with kids 4-8. I'm sure I'll put that down since I can't think of anything else, but *sigh*

Who knew skills were so hard to come by!? I'm just lacking because I wanted to concentrate in school!

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

 
Free Web Counters
Free Counter