Documenting the steps I'm taking in applying for the Peace Corps and hopefully be invited to the Peace Corps! The contents of this website are mine personally and do not reflect any position of the U.S. government or the Peace Corps.

Monday, May 12, 2008

China Earthquake

I woke up and the first thing I saw, before I was even out of bed, was the 7.8 earthquake in China, just north of Chengdu. It breaks my heart and terrifies me. I have been to China twice, and I absolutely love China more than anything.  We recently were in a 5.4 quake and it was terrifying, so I can't imagine how terrifying at 7.8 one would be. And a lot of the buildings aren't built to stand earthquakes, they are old and not build with the best materials.  I saw video of hundreds of students running out of a school building/dorm....and you could see the walls of the buildings not just shaking, but wobbling in and out....like if you shake a saw--in and out in and out. It scared me so bad because it was the exact type of building I lived in in China, nearly identical.

I saw the pictures of people searching for people, running into the streets, injured, crying, cranes searching through debris. All I want is to be there helping these people. China has a huge spot in my heart and it is tearing me up knowing I can't help and can't be there to help.  I'm going to search through some websites to see if I can't find anything about donations or even sending volunteers......I just can't sit and do nothing for my China. :(

If anyone hears of anything like that, leave a comment, please!

Labels: , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

 
Free Web Counters
Free Counter