Documenting the steps I'm taking in applying for the Peace Corps and hopefully be invited to the Peace Corps! The contents of this website are mine personally and do not reflect any position of the U.S. government or the Peace Corps.

Friday, July 11, 2008

Talked to my PO! WooHoo!

Yay! My PO, Amanda, called me today. I was in the middle of a conversation, saw the 202 area code, and sprinted out of the room to a quite place while saying "sorry! this is very important! brb!" Hehe :) She had said today, so I knew knew knew it was her. And it so was her.

First, she had some questions for me. Some of those questions that we hear people get asked just before being invited. You know, the ones that you are answering for the third time...first your recruiter, then your assistant PO, and now your PO. At least, I have the hang of it by this point, right? She asked about my relationship, my grandmother's death last year, my relationship with my youngest sister who I have helped out a lot, my family's thoughts on the PC, and my thoughts on some of the things people sometimes tend to not have in the PC (ie. not having running water or electricity).

Then she said she had a placement in mind that she thinks is absolutely perfect for me. Don't worry, she took plenty of time getting to telling me the actual placement (which is hilarious...simply because I do that, save the most important "needed" piece of news until last).

She said she had found this placement, and spoken to the woman in charge of that specific program in that country about me (yay!), and the woman specifically wanted me. She wanted ME! Since my TEFL certificate is about to come through, and I have experience working with Youth, she said that I am absolutely perfect for this position and she really wants me. My recruiter then said that this country has a history of accepting people with medical conditions (excellent bc of my epilepsy...I like how she thinks!) 

She said if this all sounded good to me she would put my name in to reserve this placement spot for me. Of course, it sounds great! I believe that I originally had TEFL in my top 3 choices. Asked if I had any questions about that part, no not that I can think of...still can't think of any hours later. SO. She said this placement spot was reserved for me. She was sending it to medical for them to tell her if I can go there or not (but she seemed to expect it to be okay) and said it could be a few days to a couple weeks, but if they said all was a go, then she would officially be inviting me! 

Its still a lot of work, but it is a HUGE step and I'm so excited. It sounds like she really worked hard for me, and even mentioned me specifically to someone, who now in turn WANTS me! Wow!

So yes, are you sitting there yelling at the computer, asking where I'm going? I hope so, because the best part is finding out.

First it was Community Development in Africa. Then it was Youth Development in Latin America.

NOW:

TEFL in Eastern Europe departing in late September 2008!

wheeeeeeeeeee! :-D

Labels: , , , , , , , , , ,

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

You're one step closer! Good luck with your invite, and hopefully it'll be smooth sailing here on out.

Nadine

July 13, 2008 at 12:18 AM

 
Blogger S. said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

July 13, 2008 at 1:45 PM

 
Blogger Katharine said...

Gosh.. I haven't spoken to my PO since May. Now I've been cleared and feel like I'm in limbo. My close of invitation date is 2.5 weeks from now. :O
I'm going to start getting really nervous myself if I don't get any calls soon!

Good luck and happy birthday!

July 21, 2008 at 10:30 AM

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

 
Free Web Counters
Free Counter