Documenting the steps I'm taking in applying for the Peace Corps and hopefully be invited to the Peace Corps! The contents of this website are mine personally and do not reflect any position of the U.S. government or the Peace Corps.

Thursday, March 27, 2008

2008/09 Decisions

I have long said that I have a timeline to leave for the Peace Corps by the end of 2008 at least.  I have several reasons for this.
  1. Excitement: My excitement for the Peace Corps makes me want to leave as soon as possible. Considering I still do not have a job, it makes me more available to leave whenever. I half hope I get medically cleared and they find a program for me sooner than August. Sometimes that happens. "We have an unexpected opening in a June program for working in ___ in ___ region. Would you be okay with changing your nomination to this or would you like to keep yours?" Heck yeah I'd like to change it! I prefer to leave as soon as I can in 2008, it's much sooner than 2009.
  2. Wedding: My sister is getting married next June. June 20th. Since you are not to travel in your 3 months of training and first 3 months of volunteering (6 months total) and June is the 6th month, that means I need to leave in December 2008 or (preferably) earlier. I'm supposed to be the maid of honor, so I can't skip the wedding! (Luckily, when I explained that to my recruiter and that I wasn't trying to be picky, she understood and really helped me find this '08 nomination)
  3. Impatient: Basically, I just don't want to wait until 2009.
However, I know that because I'm epileptic, my nomination-invitation is highly likely to change since there are only about a dozen countries out of about 74 that accept epileptics. Of course, they always go case by case and run it by the director who can make the ultimate decision about sending a seizure-beast like me to a non-epileptic country. (as for my seizure-beast status, I haven't had one in 5 years, but that doesn't mean a lot to the pc.) So, nominations can change anyway for anyone, but the fact I'm epileptic means that it's very very likely it will change! 

Knowing the likelihood of that and the fact that, according to my recruiter, most 2008 positions I'm qualified for are full, it has forced me to think about what to do if I am bumped from '08 noms-invites.  I think I've found several options.
  1. Take the '09 Invite: Even if it is a 2009 invitation, it is an invitation! That means they want me to represent the Peace Corps in some area of the world. It means I get to learn a language, meet new people, live in another culture, and most importantly, make a difference in someone's life! Despite the wedding, how could I refuse it!?
  2. Defer my Application: I have read that you are allowed to defer your PC application for up to 1 year without having to reapply. That means I could defer it until....let's see....at least March/April of '09 and then at that point I'd contact my recruiter, receive a new nomination for sometime in 2009 (hopefully after June! HAH) Problem with this being that it is so long that you never know what will come up and keep you from then joining like you want to.
  3. Don't Join: The worst option is to just give up the idea of the Peace Corps. I don't like that option. I really believe this is something I want to and need to do. I have an insane urge to travel, especially to different cultures, and learn all about these cultures. Maybe I should have been a cultural anthropologist. I want to be able to really "BE" with another culture. This is something that I could give so much to someone and really give to the community all the while gaining skills. How could anyone NOT want to do this?!
  4. Sweet Talking: (a) sweet talk the peace corps officials into letting me go to the wedding even if I were in the 6 month-no-travel restriction. (b) get injured so they'd medivac me to the states ;) haha jk...(c) try to sweet talk my sister into having a wedding in MY Peace Corps country. Hrm. Anyone think that is likely unless it is the Caribbean or Pacific? Haha.
Basically, option (3) of not joining is not an option, and option (4) of sweet talking is probably not an option. Option (1) of just taking the invite and missing the wedding is still an option, and option (2) of deferring the application if I find out it's a Jan-June '09 invite.  To be honest, I sorta prefer option one. Take it and run with it! But at the same time....how could I ever do that to my little sister, not show up to her wedding when I am supposed to be the brides maid? 

See my major dilemma? That's why I have such a fear of a nomination change.

Labels: , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

 
Free Web Counters
Free Counter