Documenting the steps I'm taking in applying for the Peace Corps and hopefully be invited to the Peace Corps! The contents of this website are mine personally and do not reflect any position of the U.S. government or the Peace Corps.

Monday, March 24, 2008

Nomination!!!!!!!

Okay, talk about insanely frayed nerves. Haha. No not because of what the nomination IS, I love the nomination (both of them--haha). Just read on and find out why my nerves are attacking me like its a warzone!

My recruiter, Hazel, called me and said she had two options for me to choose from for my nomination:
  • Youth Development, Eastern Europe, March '09
  • Community Service, French-speaking Sub-Saharan Africa, July '08
I hands down chose Africa! First, if I chose the Europe one, I wouldn't be able to go to my sister's wedding next June, that ended that right off the bat. But even if it'd been a better date for me, I prefer both Africa and Community over Europe and Youth.  So it was perfect.

Naturally, I got on the Yahoo Peace Corps 2 group and announced it in an insane fury of excitement--there had just been a post started about nominations that were mine. I posted my nomination and then read the others. Just as I vaguely remembered, one girl with a relatively similar nomination had hers changed after a couple weeks because those were already full. I thought oh great, now mine will, even without the epilepsy, but also thought--hers could be an entirely different program, you never know!

No more than 5 minutes after I read that, my phone rang. It was Hazel. She said she had to cancel my nomination because the post she had nominated me for was already closed. I didn't say I already knew this and wasn't surprised, but still was sorta grafghtruahegilahret. Anyway, she gave me 2 more options. One was the same African post leaving in March '09, the other was still that Europe one in March '09. I ehh and ahhhed and hrmmmmed at the options. If I choose one of them, I without a doubt would have to miss my sisters wedding.

I asked if there was anything earlier, at all, leaving before the end of the year. I explained I was happy with both those nominations, and that I wasn't trying to be picky, but that my sisters wedding was in June '09 and I was supposed to be the maid of honor.  If I left then I would miss it because of the 6-month no travel restriction, so I was really hoping to leave by the end of the year. LUCKILY, Thank goodness, Hazel understood and looked again, but said she didn't think there was anything left that I was qualified for. She found one, but it was for environmental engineering--something I am 100% unqualified for. We both agreed. Another I was also unqualified for. 

Then she found something. She said it required a Spanish 2 level, which I have. Then she said it also required at least a year of strong organizational and developmental skills. We both paused. That's where it got tricky, I'm sure if I thought I could eke something out that would most likely be bullshit. Apparently, that's what she was trying to do too, because she wanted me to fit this nomination. She looked at my stuff and says
"Oh! Watermelon Express! This day camp. I see what you did, but can you describe it to me?"
"Well, yeah, I was pretty much the head counselor under the two owners, so I helped them create and organize projects, field trips, schedules in general. Plus, you know, 50+ kids and keeping THEM organized is pretty hard. ....also, I don't know if this will count at all, but I'll throw it out, in college, in most group projects I tended to be the leader. Also, in my history seminars I would have to write a research paper that I had to completely organize, develop, and write on my own. Sometimes halfway through, the paper would completely change directions or you'd have to almost start over. It took a lot of work. Just a thought"
"Well, I think that constitutes strong organizational skills, I'm going to nominate you for this program."
Wow. My nerves were so frayed because I didn't think I was going to be able to find a program that left before the end of this year. I was just about to freak OUT! More than you know. I had expected a call for a nomination change, but GEEZ. Now I'm just terrified I'll get another call! *crazy*

My Official Nomination:
  • Youth Development, Spanish-speaking Central/South America, mid-August 2008

Labels: , , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

 
Free Web Counters
Free Counter