Documenting the steps I'm taking in applying for the Peace Corps and hopefully be invited to the Peace Corps! The contents of this website are mine personally and do not reflect any position of the U.S. government or the Peace Corps.

Saturday, March 15, 2008

Timeline

I know we all say that we will go anywhere, do anything, at anytime.  But I do hope to be somewhat on a timeframe here.  See, my sister is getting married, probably June 20, '09.  As you know, you can't travel during training or the first 3 months, for a grand total of 6 months.  June is the 6th month.  So I'm really hoping I leave December or before so that I am able to travel back for her wedding!!! I hate to leave so early in volunteering, but the fact is, how can I miss my sisters wedding!? And I can't ask her to reschedule just for me. You know? I don't think it's very selfish to want this, but I hope I can relay this to the PC that I want to leave by the end of the year.  Ideally like September or October so I have at least 3-4 extra months under my belt. Of course, you can't officially pick your time, but you can preference the time frame. Anyone have any idea how likely it is I will get nominated and invited for that time frame?  Does anyone know how  filled those programs in that time are?

Labels: , , ,

3 Comments:

Blogger Life as a spaz said...

I think its feasible that you will be able to depart in September or October. I was nominated Dec 7 and I'm leaving for Nicaragua on May 7. Just make sure you get that medical packet to them ASAP.

Just curious, but why was Nicaragua on your list of places you wouldn't want to go? :)

March 16, 2008 at 12:31 PM

 
Blogger Jenna said...

Good to hear its possible! 5 months! Seems so quick!

I guess I was thinking of the "old" Nicaragua, but once I thought about it, I thought "wait, that's done and over." Haha, so it was a little misunderstanding in updating the news in my brain. I would totally go there.

How much Spanish do you know?

March 16, 2008 at 12:40 PM

 
Blogger Christie said...

Jenna,

During my interview I was asked to state (in order) what was most important to me: place, type of assignment, or time of departure. Prior to my nomination I was also given a list of three choices (each with different departure dates and all in the time frame I'd requested).

I have heard however that the interview and nomination process is not entirely uniform. That said, if they don't ask for your preference you might consider listing it anyway - just to see if they will take it into consideration.

Good luck!

- Christie

March 16, 2008 at 1:46 PM

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

 
Free Web Counters
Free Counter