Documenting the steps I'm taking in applying for the Peace Corps and hopefully be invited to the Peace Corps! The contents of this website are mine personally and do not reflect any position of the U.S. government or the Peace Corps.

Friday, April 18, 2008

Earthquake


Um, yeah, so there was definitely an earthquake last night/this morning...at 4:45.....so they say it was a 5.4 in magnitude and its epicenter was 44 miles away from here on the edge of Illinois and Indiana, near Vincennes.....eitherway, I thought I was sitting smack on the epicenter!

All 4 of us woke up yelling to each other "What the hell is going on!?" "What the hell???" "Is this an earthquake????" while the cat is running up and down the hall freaking out and we think the dog peed from fear. Basically, our beds were shaking very strongly....and I jumped up and stood in the doorway and my youngest sister jumped up and I told her get in the doorway just in case.  The noise from the earthquake was the most unnerving and eery thing ever. You hear it, but then you aren't even sure you are hearing it...yet at the same time it is loud, very loud, and very deep. The whole house was shaking, I thought for sure the walls were crack, especially since it was built in the 60s.....you could hear stuff rattling on the shelf and as it picked up, a picture in my dads room fell off the tv and broke.  

When it first started I had no idea what was going on--seizure? am I in trouble and someone is shaking me? did I over sleep and someone is trying to wake me up? am I falling? am I dreaming? oh shit! it's a big earthquake!  They say it was 10 seconds, but it was definitely more like 30, and scary. Deep rumbling noise and your entire house shaking--including you. Today we are checking over the house to make sure nothing fell or cracked that we didn't realize at the time.

Crazy, and scary.

Update: this morning around 10:15 there was an aftershock that was 4.5 in magnitude. I was actually in the chair at the oral surgeons office waiting to get my 4 wisdoms out.  My dad (a dentist) had left the room with the doctor to look at a ct scan to see where a nerve in relation to my tooth was.  The nurse was out of the room. All the sudden my chair, the tv, and some little tools started shaking! Definitely scared me, but I sorta expected it. I had said last night and this morning that the aftershock would naturally come while I was there. Luckily, they hadn't started but my face was all numbed up.  I almost asked the nurse about it when she came back in, but I wasn't sure it was real since they had just taken me off about a 5 minute spin on the laughing gas mask, also I was too numb to really talk well...so I didn't ask. But at 11:30 when I was finished, I definitely had multiple texts about the aftershock.

Update 2: The other night...Sunday night/Monday morning at 12:45am, there was another aftershock, I was in bed and the walls and bed definitely started shaking again.  This time I just stayed in bed to ride it out, at least 30 seconds...and very small ones here and there after it.  It would've been a decent earthquake, but since it was coming after the bigger one from Friday morning, it was just a big aftershock. I'd say b/w 4.7-5, pretty decent! Still weird though.

Picture: up top you see a picture from USGS. The star is where the epicenter was, where it happened, and Evansville (SE) is where I live....so overall we were really pretty close, hence why it was still sooooo strong (we are actually in yellow too, its just not yet updated)

Labels: , , , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

 
Free Web Counters
Free Counter