Documenting the steps I'm taking in applying for the Peace Corps and hopefully be invited to the Peace Corps! The contents of this website are mine personally and do not reflect any position of the U.S. government or the Peace Corps.

Saturday, June 14, 2008

Kiribati--Canceled?

I was reading a girl's PC website. She had received an invitation to serve in Kiribati, a group of islands the PC serves in the Pacific, very near Australia. Apparently, she received a call yesterday, naturally Friday the 13th, and was told that the Kiribati program was canceled.  Apparently, flights to the islands have become so infrequent that PC can't assure medical care if necessary. The country director thought that since this is quite important, it would be best to suspend the program. I think last time they send a group to kiribati, they got pulled after a few days and ended up being placed elsewhere. The girl put it this way on her blog:
All programs in Kiribati have been indefinitely suspended due to the infrequency of flights to the outer islands - they could not guarantee prompt medical care in an emergency so the country director decided this was best.
What's more, I had just seen lots of people get invitations to Kiribati in the last few weeks. Sad day.

Update: I have read 2 more blogs also stating the Kiribati program is suspended...sad but true. I can't even imagine if I were those people. 

Labels: , , , , , , , ,

2 Comments:

Blogger Mon-Wei Chou said...

Hey, I just started my application process a week ago. I saw your comment on facebook regarding epilepsy. Any idea what those 14 countries might be? I've been seizure-free for 4 yrs, but I'm hoping it wont restrict me from my regional preferences. Good luck!

June 15, 2008 at 4:12 AM

 
Blogger Jenna said...

mon-wei...
I can't access your blog so I can't directly respond to you, but maybe you'll get this. Anyway, with epilepsy, a huge number of countries are limited. I've heard 14 of like 73 countries can support epileptics, but again that's just a rumor so it could be more. Clearly tho, some countries can't logistically support us. I have heard most of the countries are in Latin America, Caribbean, and Europe. The only ones I absolutely KNOW positively do are South Africa, Macedonia, Romania, and Dominican Republic. Possibly Ukraine, Panama, & Ecuador, but not sure. The ones I know are from epileptics who have served there. But just if the PC can't handle you in the region you want, i totally encourage you to apply anyway since there is never a region gaurentee even for someone with no medical restriction. Its part of the PC way....just go with the flow, nothing is a gaurentee. A group going to Kiribati just got canceled and have to go elsewhere, other people get nominated for Africa and placed in the caribbean, or nominated for Asia and placed in Europe. Sometimes you just never know. But I wish you best of luck in your application process! Just make sure you keep on top of everything and do it asap, esp medical, just to be sure you aren't stuck doing everything at the last minute. Its better to get stuff done and then wait, then to not have it done, do it, and wonder if you'll even get processed in time (ick) :) Congrats on 4 years seizure free! Its been 5 years for me, I love it!

June 16, 2008 at 4:10 PM

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

 
Free Web Counters
Free Counter