Documenting the steps I'm taking in applying for the Peace Corps and hopefully be invited to the Peace Corps! The contents of this website are mine personally and do not reflect any position of the U.S. government or the Peace Corps.

Sunday, March 30, 2008

Motivating Song

This ain't a song for the broken-hearted
No silent prayer for the faith-departed
I ain't gonna be just a face in the crowd
You're gonna hear my voice
When I shout it out loud

[Chorus:]
It's my life
It's now or never
I ain't gonna live forever
I just want to live while I'm alive
(It's my life)
My heart is like an open highway
Like Frankie said
I did it my way
I just wanna live while I'm alive
It's my life

This is for the ones who stood their ground

For Tommy and Gina who never backed down
Tomorrow's getting harder make no mistake
Luck ain't even lucky
Got to make your own breaks


Actually, this song is one of my favorites. Especially when I am driving. I like to turn the volume up so loud, belt out the song, all the while dancing like crazy. I can't explain how I get into it.

Once I really heard the words...while it is just a song, it really inspires me. Maybe that sounds corny, but it does. It really makes me want to go out any do things that I want to do, but probably would do. And it is funny, while I can play that song in my car on my iPod or on my laptop all I want, the only times I have ever heard it come onto the radio were the two times I was really thinking hard about something I wanted to do but wasn't sure if I could. The first was last fall about deciding to go to China. The second was about a month ago when I was contemplating applying to the Peace Corps.

What happens is that I will think about something, long and hard, what I really would love to do...but I always am unsure of it. I don't think I can do it, I wonder how I could go away, think about if I am strong enough to make it. Doubt doubt doubt. Both those times the song came on and as I'm belting it out in my car, I can just feel energy coursing through my body. As I sing the lyrics, I realize just how true they are.

I'm 23 and am at the perfect time in my life to go out on my own and experience these great things. When I'm 30, 40, 50, 60, 70 I don't want to look back and say "I didn't do it because I was scared" or "I didn't do it because of my boyfriend" (whom, mind you, I love very very much and have full intentions of coming back to).  While I'm young enough and at a perfect place in my life, I want to do these things. I need to do these things. Just like the song says, "It's my life/It's now or never/I ain't gonna live forever/I just want to live while I'm alive"


How can this song not inspire you. Try it, in your car, driving down the highway or 50+ areas....turn this song on, turn it up LOUD, and just have at it. It sends shivers through my spine and it pushes me just that extra little bit to remember, it's my life, and I want to make it a great one.

Labels: , , , , , ,

3 Comments:

Blogger Katherine Crocker said...

Hi, Jenna!

I'm Katherine, and I'm in the middle of waiting for med clearance for a leave date of approx Feb, 2009. My e-mail address is katherine.crocker@google.com if you want to contact me. I don't have much advice or anything, but it is exciting to see someone else who is in the same stage of planning that I am...

March 30, 2008 at 9:45 AM

 
Blogger Justin Williams said...

I just threw up a little bit in my mouth.

March 30, 2008 at 4:25 PM

 
Blogger Katherine Crocker said...

wow...that'd be "katherine.crocker@gmail.com" Sorry.

April 1, 2008 at 5:11 PM

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

 
Free Web Counters
Free Counter